August 27, 2014
Stop before you go much further check out our list of the top 9 things you must do before you begin the actual renovation and the construction of your modern kitchen
Homeowners could recoup more than 90 percent of the remodeling costs when they put their home on the market, depending on the renovation. Even if you don't plan to sell your home, though, and just want to remodel your kitchen to make it more efficient, up-to-date or reflective of your personal style, remodeling a kitchen is a big project that requires some advance preparation to avoid unnecessary headaches during the project.
1. Renovation Survival Kit
Start to put together your renovation survival kit which will include the following:
The kit will help you plan for where and when you will eat during the renovation. Store pots, pans and utensils during the renovation, collect coupons from restaurants for times when you will be eating out, check your BBQ to make sure it is ready. Remember it is your kitchen that is being disrupted so you won't be able to eat your normal meals at home.
2. Meet with your contractor to go over the finalized remodeling plans and confirm the details of the project. During this meeting, address potential issues with the contractor, such as where the construction vehicles should be parked, where the contractors can use the bathroom if necessary, and the entrances that the worker's should use. Going over these details in advance will help prevent misunderstandings during the project. Talk with your kitchen manufacturer or builder before starting a kitchen remodel to set expectations and ground rules.
3. Remove all items from the kitchen cabinets, drawers and shelves. Store the items you will not need for the duration of the remodel in boxes or plastic bins, and put the containers in an out-of-the-way location, such as a spare room or a garage, where they will not be damaged during the construction.
4. Create a makeshift kitchen in another room of the house. If you have a dining room, set up a microwave, toaster, coffeemaker and other small appliances you use regularly so that you can make at least basic meals and snacks during your remodeling.
5. Prepare your BBQ for outdoor cooking. Purchase a full gas tank for gas grills, or stock up on charcoal. Expect to cook many of your meals outside during the remodeling.
6. Stock up on paper plates, cups and utensils. During the project, you may have limited use of the sink and dishwasher, and using disposable products will prevent you from having to wash dishes in the bathtub or bathroom sink.
7. Save discount coupons for local restaurants for several weeks leading up to the remodeling. Even with a temporary kitchen, you might find it easier to eat out or get takeout more often than usual. Using coupons can help save you some cash.
8. Protect your flooring, if it is not being replaced in the remodeling. The contractor may do this for you, but if not, purchase some carpet remnants from a local carpet store and tape them down to the floor to prevent damage while the contractors work on your kitchen.
9. Adjust your expectations. Understand that your life is going to be disrupted for several days, weeks or even months during the remodeling, and things may go wrong or take longer than expected. Be flexible, and remember that at the end of the chaos and disruption, you'll have the new kitchen of your dreams.
There is our 9 things you must do to handle a kitchen renovation. If you have any tips please let us know.
Comments will be approved before showing up.
September 18, 2017
Home Automation, or a smart home, is a very exciting initiative for any homeowner. A smart home can bring you peace of mind and allows you to do the things that are important to you and your family whilst being secure in the knowledge that your home is safe.
Here are 16 Benefits of Home Automation and how it will improve your lifestyle
September 07, 2017
You probably have heard about home automation, smart homes, internet of things. But how does that apply to you, how can you use and is it of benefit to you?
Here we lay out for you a simple introduction to home automation and how you can use it to improve your life and lifestyle.
Home automation is where the homeowner uses technology to run their home. You can control things either at home whilst you are at home or from a remote location.
August 15, 2017